Castelvecchio and its history

Castelvecchio weaves in with the history of innumerable castles and fortresses that are in Val d'Orcia, the land of eternal Sienese's battles.
You can still hear and feel adventures and fights through those thick walls, that run since the Etruscan time, throughout from Longobardi until the Middle Age and during the French domination; a long period of time and for that reason it was essential to strengthen those castles.

The first historical documents date back in 1279, with Napoleone Visconti who died in his Castelvecchio Palace. But the origins date back in 1064, when Castelvecchio was mentioned for the first time in history books, telling us that it was in a strategic position along the renowned Via Franchigena, “Borgo del Formone”, where they joined there to protect the Formone's and the Orcia's waters, beside protecting it from the Castelvecchio's inhabitants.

During the Middle Age, it witnessed continuous battles between the Lords of Siena, Orvieto and Florence. The Visconti from 1279 until 1339; the Salimbeni from 1369 until 1429, both families were the Castelvecchio's proprietors, alternating alliances and loyalty, some times with the Guelfi, others with the Ghibellini. During the XVIIth century, four Castelvecchio's farms passed to the Bandinelli, Lords of Siena, proprietors of Montepulciano, Castiglion del Bosco, Abbadia Ardenga and Campiglia. The Bourbon del Monte marquis owned Castelvecchio until 1900, then the entire property was given to young Antonietta, marrying Count Alberto Morelli Ademari.

In 1959 the entire property was purchased by the De Angelis family. Now the Castelvecchio proprieteros are the De Angelis-Geatani d'Aragona.
There was another important castle that dominated the Val d'Orcia's territory: Perignano, which was destroyed during the last furious battle against the Sieneses in 1456. Perignano Castle's main door still protects today Villa di Castelvecchio's entrance.